Under limited supervision, independently manages execution and timely completion of engineering projects by analyzing project scope and determining project specifications, establishing test programs for product investigations, and preparing reports for clients. Participates in the development of UL requirements, test methods, and test equipment. Exercises Project Handler Signature Authority as Project Handler of record responsible for opening, maintenance, completion, and closing of assigned new work engineering projects. May exercise Review Signature Authority as assigned as Reviewer of record responsible for initial review, status review, and final technical review of all new work engineering projects.
- Independently determines project scope, develops a preliminary plan of investigation, and determines project specifications such as cost, time, and sample requirements by analyzing client input, available supplemental data, and product construction. Projects may include frequent travel to conduct or witness tests at client sites
- Initiates communication with clients to promote and explain the benefits of new and existing services. Follows up on contacts from clients. Communicates with clients to discuss technical issues, explain UL procedures and requirements, convey project cost, and negotiate completion date and sample requirements. Acts to address client concerns and to resolve client issues. Provides technical assistance to clients in reference to product inspection and follow-up services
- Establishes appropriate test programs by reviewing files and manufacturer's information, examining samples, and applying UL requirements. Notifies client of any areas in which the product is not in compliance with UL requirements or of any changes in project scope or specifications
- Coordinates laboratory activities by preparing data sheets and instructions to technicians, scheduling and reviewing work of Laboratory Technicians and support staff and establishing completion dates. Coordinates administrative aspects of project management. Serves as Project Handler of record and may sign as Reviewer of record as assigned
- Communicates project status and results to clients through frequent contact and by preparing reports. Prepares Follow-Up Service Procedures and information pages
- Integrates continuous improvement concepts and techniques into all aspects of the job
- Resolves engineering issues associated with Variation Notices by analyzing and reporting on the acceptability of the variations.
- Proposes development of new and/or revised UL requirements. Develops special test methods and test equipment. Coordinates and/or performs File Reviews. May represent UL at industry related functions such as seminars and trade shows.
- May provide direction as a Primary Designated Engineer or Designated Engineer for specific product categories.
- May directs and review work of assigned staff. May train office, field, and/or laboratory staff and entry-level engineers. Provides technical assistance to laboratory and/or field staff
- Performs other duties as directed.
*ADA Essential Function (applies only to the U.S.)
None of the foregoing information in any way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by an employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties as requested. Duties are not necessarily comprehensive and are subject to change at any time at the discretion of management. Consult the position qualification for this job when using the position profile for hiring, transfer, or promotion decisions or when providing career guidance.
CBS Role: B
PROJECT ENGINEER - Biocompatibility - Medical
Design strategy for biocompatibility of medical devices based on regulatory needs like FDA, CE, Japan etc.,
- Coordinate and technically support customers across the globe for biocompatibility safety assessment of medical devices.
- Review study protocol, study reports and monitoring pre-clinical toxicity studies as per GLP principles.
- Design chemical characterization test methods for medical devices in line with ISO 10993 standards and toxicology risk assessment as per ISO 10993-Part 17.
- Coordinate with third party labs to complete the assigned projects in time.
- Conduct international and national biocompatibility trainings, workshops, seminars and webinars.
CRITICAL BEHAVIORS FOR SUCCESS:
The Critical Behaviors for Success applicable to this job description’s CBS role are hereby incorporated by reference into this job description. Please refer to the CBS Brochure, available on the UL Net or contact your local Human Resources representative, for more information.